The National Quality Infrastructure Project for Nigeria (NQIP)
The National Quality Infrastructure Project for Nigeria (NQI) is tasked with achieving the second objective of the sector-wide programme funded by the European Union (EU) to support the economic competitiveness of the trade and investment sectors in Nigeria. This project is funded under the European Union’s 10th EDF Programme for Nigeria and implemented by UNIDO in coordination with the Federal Government of Nigeria.
The main beneficiary institutions are –
- Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON)
- Weights and Measures Department of the Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment (FMITI)
- National Agency for Food & Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC)
- Conformity Assessment Bodies (including private CABs)
- Organised private sector (NACCIMA, MAN, NASME, etc.)
- Small and Medium Enterprises Development Agency of Nigeria (SMEDAN)
- Nigerian Export Promotion Council (NEPC)
- Consumers Protection Council (CPC)
- Consumer Associations.
The Project has a total budget allocation of EUR 12, 080, 000 funds managed by UNIDO (with a UNIDO contribution of EUR 80,000). The NQI project was launched on 19 July 2013, with an inception phase, and is expected to conclude in July 2018, with a total project time-frame of 60 months.
On 27 January 2014, the EU Nigerian Competitiveness Support Programme was launched in Abuja. The event was jointly chaired by the Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment (FMITI), Dr. Olusegun Aganga; and the European Union Ambassador to Nigeria and ECOWAS Mr. Michel Arrion. The launch event was co-hosted by the European Union (EU), the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), represented by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) and the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO); it was attended by high-profile representatives from the Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies, multilateral and bilateral development partners, the private sector, and other stakeholder groups.